Whether you’re leaving the country for a while, have bought a smaller house or just have too much stuff, self-storage units in small warehouse buildings provide a place to leave your boxes or other items.
There are several factors to keep in mind when choosing a self-storage facility:
1. Think about where you want your things stored. If you’re going to need frequent access to your storage space, check out storage facilities in your area.
2. Figure out how much space you need. Storage units come in a variety of sizes, but if you can pack all your things into the smallest unit, your monthly storage fee will be lower than if you need a large space.
3. Check if there are any restrictions on access to storage units at the facility of your choice. Most facilities provide 24-hour access, but some have restrictions or fees for access.
Here are factors to consider when you’re packing up your unit:
1. Use a high-quality lock on your storage unit.
2. Store curtains, drapes and clothing on hangers.
3. If possible, use boxes that are the same size, as that makes them easier to pack into a storage space.
4. Label all your boxes on four sides to make sure you can find what you’re looking for when you need it.
5. Pack the things you’ll need often at the front of the unit.
6. Leave room for ventilation between your items and the wall.
7. Pack your boxes as tightly together as you can to stop moisture from getting in.
8. Keep electronics in their original boxes and wrap each piece individually.
9. Take large furniture apart if possible.
Take advantage of these tips to make the most of your self storage unit.