TripAdvisor just announced the world’s top destination cities of 2012. The list shouldn’t surprise any one, but here are the top 5!
1) London - London is always a great city to visit and it is even more so now. Beginning in June, London will be celebrating the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee with all the pomp and circumstance that you would expect from royalty! London has wonderful and exciting museums. Check out The Natural History Museum, watch the changing of the guards at Buckingham Palace and visit the Tower of London!
Being a history buff, I couldn’t pass up the British at War Experience, the Churchill Museum and the Cabinet War Rooms. There are a number of quaint neighborhoods like Notting Hill (of the movie fame), but my favorite is May Fair, located near Green Park, this area offers shops, restaurants and quintessential British Pubs! They say it rains a great deal and is often gloomy, but I have seen nothing but sunshine each time I have visited, but bring a rain coat just in case!
2) New York City – Spring in New York City is magical with the flowers in bloom and is number 2 on TripAdvisor’s top city list for 2012. Be sure to visit the Empire State Building and Times Square. Stop by to pay homage to those who lost their life at the World Trade Center. Check out the great performances on Broadway, but don’t forget to check out some great off-Broadway shows. There are always some great and off-beat performances at the Jane Street Theater (which once housed survivors of the Titanic). Stroll through Central Park and I suggest The Russian Tea Room, where my friend and I didn’t drink tea!
3) Rome, Italy - Rome is on many people’s bucket list and is home to amazing historical sites and great food. Rome is a vibrant and lively city with piazzas, restaurants and museums, such as the National Roman Museum. It is also deeply entrenched in the past, don’t miss out on visiting the Colosseum, the Roman baths and catacombs and the Sistine Chapel.
4) Paris, France - Totally on MY bucket list, this city stands out at number 4. Visit Paris’ most popular attractions including the Louvre, Eiffel Tower and Notre Dame. This romantic city boasts small cafes where you can enjoy a glass of wine, some cheese and bread or pastries, while you take in the sounds, smells and sights of this wonderful city.
5) San Francisco, CA - This city is a “treat”! Don’t miss out on visiting the open air markets in Fisherman’s Wharf or visiting the Aquarium of the Bay. Ride a world famous cable car and stop by China Town, which in my opinion is the best China Town in America. If you are planning to go to Alcatraz, be sure to get your tickets at least one day prior to your planned trip, as they often sell out. If Alcatraz is not in your plans, take the ferry to Sausalito and don’t miss out on an Irish Whiskey at the Buena Vista! Dress warm; Mark Twain was right when he said, “the coldest summer I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco”.
These top five cities in the 2012 list are no surprise and should be on your must see list! While great deals can be found on line, an experienced travel agent can help make your trip perfect. Check some out on MyLocally.