Over time, the windows in your home may need to be replaced, or you may want to replace old windows with new efficient ones. Hiring a contractor to install replacement windows can be a simple process if you know what questions to ask. You should also be prepared to answer any questions your contractor has for you.
- 1. How long will it take to complete the job? There will be disruption in your normal routine when you have a contractor coming in and out of your home to replace the windows. Ask for a time estimate so you can plan your schedule accordingly.
- 2. Can you provide an estimate in writing for home window installation? Having a written estimate can help you budget and compare several contractors at once.
- 3. How much experience do you have with window installation? Ask for references and check them. You want to hire someone whom you can trust, and you want someone with experience.
- 4. What type of replacement windows do you recommend? Some windows may only require a window repair or glass replacement, which can save you money if you are on a budget.
- 5. Will you be on-site with your crew, or do you hire subcontractors? Know who will be working in your home. Ask for licenses to ensure you receive only qualified and bonded workers. If the contractor hires subcontractors or will not be on-site, ask whom you need to speak to if problems arise.
- 6. What type of warranty will I receive with my new windows? Find out if the labor is covered by the contractor and whom you should call concerning problems after installation.
Do not be afraid to ask questions even when your window contractor is asking you questions. A licensed window repair handyman will expect to answer questions before they are allowed to work in your home.