A patio or walkway made from pavers can be an attractive and practical addition to your home. Paving your own patio or walkway is not an easy job. It requires a lot of planning and preparation. However, if you follow these steps, you can create your own paved patio or walkway.
- Measure the area you plan to pave. You need to do this to know how many stones you should buy. After measuring, marking the area off with stakes will allow you to continue preparation. Be sure to use a carpenter’s square to make sure the area is squared off properly.
- Installing the paver stones requires the area to be excavated to around six inches deep. After digging the area up, you should rake it to make sure it is smooth and level.
- After digging, install edging around the perimeter. Edging is commonly made from wood, plastic or aluminum.
- Cover the area with about three inches of crushed stone or gravel. Spread the gravel evenly on the bottom. Tamp the gravel firmly with a plate compactor to make sure it has settled.
- Pour 3 inches of sand over the gravel. Wet it with a little water and tamp the sand.
- Install the pavers. Tap them into place using a rubber mallet. Check the levelness often to ensure that you have a smooth surface.
- Sweep sand across the surface to fill in any cracks left during the installation.