Electrical fires can destroy homes and claim lives, but you can protect yourself by taking steps to keep your wiring and lighting safe. If you live in an older home or one with questionable wiring, you may need to hire a qualified electrician to check over all of the electrical wiring in your home. Meanwhile, here are some tips to keep your home safe from electrical fire hazards.
Handle electric cords safely. Avoid placing cords under rugs or bedding. Don’t use extension cords on a permanent basis, but instead reserve them for temporary use. Inspect cords frequently and replace any that become frayed or worn.
Take care of your electrical appliances. Unplug and replace any that are broken and unplug cords when the appliance is not in use. Use the correct size bulbs in light fixtures and lamps and use the correct size fuses in your fuse box. Be especially careful during the holidays if you are putting up lighted holiday displays or decorating a tree with lights.
Go through your home and inspect all electrical outlets, light fixtures, and exposed wiring for potential problems. If you notice something unusual, call an electrical contractor to come assess the wiring or hookup to ensure that it is safe. Don’t attempt to do electrical work if you are not trained or certified to do it.
By following these guidelines, you can reduce the risk of an electrical fire in your home and keep your family safe from danger.