A professional drywall company can help you deal with hazardous situations, including the presence of Chinese drywall or toxic mold. Both of these substances can cause serious health problems. Not all China drywall is easy to identify. If you are concerned about your new drywall, check with a residential drywall contractor or a professional drywall repair service.
You may have a problem if you experience any of these symptoms:
- Itchy eyes and skin
- Runny nose
- Persistent cough
- Breathing problems
Look for these signs that your home may have Chinese drywall:
- Your home has a sulfur smell, like matches or rotten eggs. The smell may be strongest near the sheetrock.
- You see corrosion on your plumbing fixtures, electrical wires, or copper pipes.
- While installing drywall or making drywall repairs, you notice the “Made in China” stamp on the back.
You can improve a mold problem by following these steps:
- Correcting water leaks and moisture behind any drywall installation
- Reducing humidity levels
- Replacing absorbent materials, such as certain types of gypsum
Mold and Chinese drywall are especially dangerous to children, the elderly, and people with asthma. If you notice a problem and do not know how to install drywall yourself, find assistance from a reputable drywall company.